Boko Haram, the Islamic terrorist group, has never been known for their kindness or compassion. Northeastern Nigeria is the location of their most current horrific attack, where 200 people were slaughtered in just 48 hours in barbaric and inhumane ways.
The savage militants have carried out multiple attacks in the region, leaving a trail of blood in their wake. They have been on the attack since Wednesday, even stooping to the level of gunning down those worshiping and praying during Ramadan. The militants fired on women in their houses and dragged men out of their beds in the middle of the night as a part of their death raid.
A female suicide bomber took the lives of 12 worshipers in Borno, and while Boko Haram has not claimed responsibility for this particular attack, it would appear it falls in line with the other attacks in the region and the time frame. Another attack involved around 50 armed men rushing the village of Mussa, while slaughtering villagers and burning homes to the ground.
Survivor Bitrus Dangana told AFP, “They killed six people in the village and they chased the inhabitants into the bush, firing at them … 25 people were killed in the bush,” he said. Another survivor, Adamu Bulus, confirmed 31 people had been murdered.
This is the fourth time this particular village has been attacked just this year by the Boko Haram terrorist group. Bodies were lying unattended according to witnesses, and some fear the attacks are not over.
Nigerian troops did their best to stave off the attacks from Boko Haram, fighting them for hours on end. They appeared to want to attack the state’s capitol of Maiduguri. This city is believed to be the birthplace of the modern Islamic extremist movement. This is the worst and most deadly wave of attacks since May.
Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, condemned the hostile attacks calling them “barbaric” and vowed that the insurgents would face justice.
Our prayers go out to those that lost loved ones and the survivors of this string of horrendous attacks.