A young girl was playing on the playground with her friend at school when something terrible happened. In fact, as the child went down the slide, she emerged several seconds later in severe pain and with an odd line across her neck. When her mother heard what happened, she was left absolutely horrified. Now, she’s warning others about what caused it.
Nearly two weeks ago, two young girls from Australia, Marley Oster and her friend Madison Fleming, were playing on the playground during recess when they decided to go down the slide. Unfortunately, things quickly turned to horror when Marley emerged with an odd red line across her neck, and the only reason she’s even alive today is because Madison stepped in to help.
Come to find out, Marley had been wearing a bucket hat as she went down the slide when the chord got stuck. Although it was equipped with a quick release safety clip, when the chord got stuck on a crack in the slide, the safety clip failed to release and left Marley hanging by her neck. Luckily, Madison was able to get close enough to her choking friend and manually released the safety clip, saving the young girl’s life.
When Marley’s mom, Gail Oster, heard about what happened, she was horrified. “The bell was about to go [when the accident happened]. If Madison wasn’t there, all the children would have been inside and Marley would have been left there. The slide faces the carpark at the back of the school so no one would have found her,” she explained, according to IJ Review. “It resulted in a really bad neck injury. The doctor told me another 45 seconds and her windpipe would have collapsed.”
Gail has now made it her mission to warn other parents of the hidden danger in the hats that parents are placing on their children’s heads. She wants parents to check and ensure that their child’s “safety clips” are working properly, so that happened to Marley doesn’t end up happening to another child with devastating consequences that could result in not only harming the child but taking their life. “Please, all parents, either check your child’s hat that the clip releases under pressure or cut the cord completely off the hat,” she begged on Facebook.
As a parent, it’s terrifying to think that something so simple could harm our children. Personally, I wouldn’t trust the safety clips and would rather place a bucket hat that uses velcro to secure it under the child’s chin. I’d rather not risk my child’s life by trusting the safety cord to release when under pressure.
Regardless of what you’d prefer, if you know of a child who wears these bucket hats with a safety cord, please ensure they are working properly — it’s better to be safe than sorry. No child’s life is worth a silly chord on a hat.