A Texas mother was beside herself when an odd noise drew her attention to her daughter who suddenly had quite a bit of drool pouring from her mouth. The woman rushed her child to a medical facility, but things would only get worse from there – and that’s about the time she was horrified to see what was on her child’s x-ray.
According to IJ Review, the incident is being shared across social media after Kelly Rose Joniec took to Facebook to tell of the shocking ordeal. The mother explains that she was driving her daughter, Britton, back from a swim meet when she heard a very concerning retching noise coming from the backseat.
Doing as any parent would, Kelly looked back to check on her child and was horrified to see that her daughter’s face was bright red and drool was pouring from her mouth. She quickly pulled the car over to see what was the matter only to watch Britton indicate that she had something stuck in her throat.
Kelly tried to do the Heimlich, but she felt “no resistance.” Although panicked, Britton was able to make some noises and indicate to her mom that she had somehow “swallowed” a portion of her fidget spinner.
For those who may be unaware, fidget spinners are the latest craze, with many kids across the country owning one. Of course, they’ve since been labeled a distraction as several teachers have had to take them away or ban them from class – but that’s apparently not the only problem with this latest fad, as Britton and her mom quickly found out.
In fact, Kelly wants to make it perfectly clear that they also pose a serious health risk to children as well. As she went on to explain, she drove her daughter to a nearby urgent care facility where doctors immediately ordered an x-ray.
You can imagine Kelly’s surprise to see a ball bearing from the fidget spinner lodged in her daughter’s throat. Fortunately, the obstruction had a hole in the middle, which presumably allowed Britton to continue breathing until it could be removed – but things could have ended much differently.
After Britton underwent an endoscopy procedure to have the toy removed from her throat, she was able to later explain that she was trying to “clean” the spinner in her mouth when she actually “swallowed” the ball bearing in the process. Obviously, considering where it ended up, it wasn’t truly swallowed, but rather inhaled, semi-obstructing her airway.
Now, Kelly just wants to make sure that no other parent has to go through what she did. In fact, she went so far as to issue a very specific warning:
From this I wish to offer some word of caution to parents. Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed. Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard. [Source: Facebook]
There is some pretty cool stuff out there for our kids to enjoy, but the number one priority of any parent should be to ensure that our children are safe. At this point, it’s looking like those fidget spinners are more trouble than anything else – and they’re certainly not worth dying for.