Teen Dies After Consuming Common Beverage Every Day. Do You Drink This?

A South Carolina family is in mourning after 16-year-old Davis Cripe collapsed at Spring Hill High School only to die when medics could not save his life. His cause of death was attributed to a common beverage which many Americans drink often. Now, Cripe’s parents are sharing his story in hopes that others can escape the fate he suffered, which was entirely avoidable.

If you’re like the majority of Americans, you can’t start your day without a cup of coffee. For some people, that’s more like a pot of coffee. Others religiously frequent Starbucks or McDonald’s for a mocha or a latte in order to get their caffeine fix. Some follow this up with an energy drink or caffeinated soda to really jumpstart their day. However, some may want to rethink this routine after the untimely death of a 16-year-old boy.

Davis Cripe

Davis Cripe was no different than others who love the added jolt that a caffeinated beverage offers. By all accounts a healthy and active teen, he was an all-around good kid who didn’t drink or do drugs, but he did enjoy quite a bit of caffeine. According to ABC Columbia, it was his affinity for coffee, soda, and energy drinks which ultimately led to his untimely death.

Coroner Gary Watts said 16-year-old Davis Cripe had a Mountain Dew, a latte, and an energy drink on April 26 before he collapsed at Spring Hill High School.

Watts said the final cause of death was due to a caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia.

At a press conference Monday, Cripe’s father said he hopes parents will talk to their kids about consuming energy drinks. [Source: Fox 8]

While there was no previous history of heart conditions in Cripe’s family, his body simply could not handle so much caffeine in such a short period of time. At a press conference, the 16-year-old’s brokenhearted father implored others not to partake in the beverages which took his son’s life.

“Parents, please talk to your kids about the dangers of these energy drinks. And teenagers and students, please stop buying them,” Mr. Cripe said through tears. “Like all parents, we worry about our kids as they grow up. We worry about their safety, their health, especially once they start driving. But it wasn’t a car crash that took his life. Instead, it was an energy drink,” he added.

“Davis, on this particular day, within the two hours prior to his death, we know had consumed a large diet Mountain Dew, a caffe latte from McDonald’s, and also some kind of energy drink,” said Watts at the same press conference.

“Now, the purpose here today is not to slam Mountain Dew, it’s not to slam caffe lattes, it’s not to slam energy drinks,” added Watts. “But, what we want to do here today is make people understand that these drinks, this amount of caffeine, how it’s ingested, can have dire consequences.”

Parents, warn your children against consuming too much caffeine. The sugary coffees which are readily available at every convenience store and drive-thru should not be consumed alongside soda and energy drinks. Likewise, the brightly-colored cans containing every flavor of energy drink under the sun are certainly enticing, but simply not worth the damage they may do to a young body.

Please share Davis Cripe’s unfortunate story so that others may be alerted to the dangers of energy drinks and consuming too much caffeine. He died too young, but hopefully, after hearing his story, other young people might change their ways so that they don’t make the same mistake.

Please share the story and tell us what you think by clicking one of the buttons below. We want to hear YOUR voice!

About That Conservative Girl 817 Articles
That Conservative Girl is a millennial living in Southern California on a small farm in Cherry Valley. Passionate about faith, family values, and individual liberty, when she isn't bringing you the news she's listening to Merle Haggard and dreaming of Montana.