In Nashville, Tennessee, a woman awoke one morning to an unusually odd and stinging sensation in her face. However, when she looked down at her hand, she quickly realized what had happened and was left horrified to learn a few days later why there was a gaping black hole in her face.
Meghan Linsey, a country singer and former contestant on the hit singing show “The Voice,” woke one morning to a “stinging sensation” in her face. Unfortunately, her entire world would be shaken when she realized there was a dead spider in one of her hands that had bitten her.
However, things would only get worse from there when she was left horrified to learn a few days later why there was a black hole in her face. As it turns out, the spider was the second most venomous arachnid in America, the brown recluse spider.
Unfortunately, she would continue to suffer “excruciating pain, muscle spasms, full body rash, and extreme swelling” for over a month as a result of the bite. However, the gorgeous and brave woman decided to publicly record her recovery process on Instagram.
“I know I’ve been MIA on social media for a while, so I wanted to fill you all in on what’s going on. These pics are hard to share, but I think it’s important for me to be open with you guys. Everything isn’t perfect all of the time,” she explained on Instagram. “We all go through hard stuff. So, 9 days ago, on February 12, I woke up to a stinging sensation on my face. I looked and in my right hand was a dead spider. Somehow while I was sleeping, a spider had bit me and I had killed it. This scenario is literally on the top of my nightmare list.”
I know I've been MIA on social media for a while, so I wanted to fill you all in on what's going on. These pics are hard to share, but I think it's important for me to be open with you guys. Everything isn't perfect all of the time. We all go through hard stuff. So, 9 days ago, on February 12, I woke up to a stinging sensation on my face. I looked and in my right hand was a dead spider. Somehow while I was sleeping, a spider had bit me and I had killed it. This scenario is literally on the top of my nightmare list. The stinging was awful and I knew it had to be poisonous. I put the spider in a bag and headed to urgent care. Over the course of the last 9 days, I have experienced the most insane symptoms. From excruciating nerve pain in my face, muscle spasms, full body rash, extreme swelling… etc. It has really been rough. It has been confirmed that I was bit by a brown recluse spider, one of two of the most poisonous spiders in the US. I am still dealing with the wound on my face, but I finally found the right meds to control the nerve pain. I know I'm not out of the woods on this yet, but I am so incredibly grateful for my health and I will never take it for granted again. Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated. I will be getting back in the studio this week, to work on the new record! I can't wait to finish it. And I can't wait to get back on the road on March 9 & 10- I will be playing in Alaska! And PLEASE, if you live in area where these spiders are, do some research and learn how to protect yourself! I know this is not common at all, but better safe than sorry! Love you all! Xo Meg
After sharing several “progress” photos since the incident, Linsey’s face is finally clear of the black and dead tissue. She was treated in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber since the incident, and the treatment was the breakthrough she prayed for.
“The oxygen [from the chamber] helps them heal wounds much easier and are much more able to fight off infection,” Dr. Roshini Raj told Inside Edition. In fact, in Linsey’s most recent photo, her face now has a pink hue where the black, gaping hole once was, showing the success of the treatment.
However, Linsey urges everyone to take precautions to avoid having a similar encounter with a brown recluse as she was forced to do. In one of her posts, she begged her fans, “PLEASE, if you live in (an) area where these spiders are, do some research and learn how to protect yourself! I know this is not common at all, but better safe than sorry!”
To better protect yourself, here are a few suggestions to prevent your or a loved one from a brown recluse encounter:
1. Check your bed before getting into it – especially if it’s been unused for awhile.
2. Keep beds and cribs away from the wall and remove any bed skirts that could assist the spider into your sleeping quarters.
3. Shake out your clothes and shoes before putting them on or handling them if they’ve been on the floor.
4. Wear gloves and long sleeved shirts when cleaning out closets, boxes or containers. In fact, when storing items, place them in plastic bags to better prevent a spider’s entry.
5. When gathering wood or cleaning out sheds, wear gloves and long sleeved shirts.
These precautions are the best way to avoid a spider bite from the venomous brown recluse. Clearly, no one wants to recover from a wound caused by this spider, and anyone who has suffered as a result undoubtedly wishes they had taken these precautions seriously.
We are only given one life, and the last thing we want to do is to fight off and recover from a hole caused by a tiny little spider when it can be easily prevented. I think it’s safe to say, no matter where you live, you’ll be checking your bed before you go to sleep tonight – I know I will.