Every now and then, a new social media challenge emerges that teens are all too eager to participate in, while the rest of us are left shaking our heads. Sadly, several of these challenges have put participants in the hospital or, even worse, left them dead. Unfortunately, the troubling trends just keep coming, and the latest disturbing challenge has left several stupid teens in avoidable life-threatening situations that parents need to be aware of before their child ends up being next.
Once our children reach their teens, most parents are relieved that the kids can be trusted enough that we don’t have to childproof the house. Unfortunately, after several teens have been harmed, thanks to a new social media challenge, doctors are sending a warning out to parents, telling them to lock up a common household item.
As a result of a disturbing new “social media challenge” that’s making its way around the internet, doctors are warning parents to make sure they keep certain laundry products out of the reach of their teens because, if you don’t, you might be risking your child’s life.
The viral trend is known as the “Tide Pod Challenge.” It’s when a teen puts individual laundry detergent packets in their mouths and posts videos of doing so online. Also, as an added twist, some people are even cooking with them, putting the product in their food.
You would think that even a teenager would be smart enough to realize how stupid this challenge is. Clearly, Tide Pod packets aren’t meant to be ingested, and it should go without saying that, just like most other cleaning and laundry products, they aren’t safe for you to eat. Doctors are worried about the effects that this challenge might impose on anyone, especially these stupid teens ingesting the laundry pods.
“I think it’s kind of foolish because, number one, I think most of the problem comes from the coating itself … if you look at data for liquid soap ingestion, just liquid soap ingestion by itself doesn’t cause too many problems,” Dr. Joe Krug explained, according to Fox 8. However, the Tide Pod is more than just simple liquid soap — they are a highly concentrated, powerful cleaning product.
“So you’ll get burns to the skin, burns to the eye, a lot of problems that are more severe, burns to the respiratory tract, burns to the esophagus,” Dr. Krug added, warning that once it’s swallowed, the damage is done. “There’s nothing you can do once you ingested the issue or the substance, so it’s more of supporting whatever symptoms they have afterward and then hopefully educating them about trying to do more intelligent things in the future.”
A quick YouTube search will show the shocking reality of how many individuals are actually participating in the idiotic challenge. Several of these videos show people eating the pods and gagging – their body’s last attempt to warn of the dangers — but sadly, the popularity of the trend and attention gained by fellow social media users are far more important to these teens, who are hoping for internet fame.
Tide’s parent company, Procter and Gamble, has even released a statement to hopefully convince people to stop doing the challenge. “Our laundry pacs are a highly concentrated detergent meant to clean clothes, and they’re used safely in millions of households every day,” the company explained. “They should be only used to clean clothes and kept up, closed and away from children. They should not be played with, whatever the circumstance is, even if it is meant as a joke.”
The fact that the pods can cause problems when ingested is not new knowledge. In fact, it was known before the challenge even began. In recent years, after some young children ingested the pods, mistaking them for candy, the company redesigned the product’s containers to be more childproof.
According to Forbes, the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AACP) has warned that “parents and caregivers should be continually instructed to keep Laundry Packets locked up high and out of reach of children.” Unfortunately, no one would have anticipated that teens, who are able to open up a childproof container, would be purposefully ingesting the pods for the sake of social media fame and so-called fun.
Although it may seem like common sense, it’s imperative that you speak to your teens and younger children about the dangers of ingesting the Tide Pods, as well as participating in any trending social media challenge. They need to be made aware of the risks before they do something just because “it’s the cool thing to do.” Share this warning across social media so no one loses their life over a disturbing and stupid new internet challenge.