Hiking Couple Hears Whisper In The Trees, Makes Horrifying Discovery

An adventurous Utah couple hit a canyon trail on foot to take in nature and capture some wilderness photos from a better vantage point. But when they heard a sound coming out of the trees in the distance, their scenic hike took a terrifying turn.

Heather Blackwelder (left), American Fork Canyon find (right)

Spencer Dreyden and his girlfriend, Cleo, were surrounded by beauty at Utah’s American Fork Canyon when the birds chirping and the leaves rustling were silenced by a woman calling for help with all she had left in her, which wasn’t much. Rather than simply calling 911, the couple went to investigate.

Several hundred feet deep into the canyon, tucked behind large clusters of trees and covered in vegetation, Dreyden and his date found a small car with a woman identified as 24-year-old Heather Blackwelder trapped inside, KSL reported.

Blackwelder was badly injured, so much so that Spencer called it a “miracle” that she managed to survive in that mangled mass of steel, let alone get an ounce of sound out to call for help. Heather had taken the canyon road two days earlier on Tuesday, when she went through the guardrail, rolled off the road, and plunged down the cliff. It should have been sudden death, but something saved her and sustained her until a couple of Godsends could come to her rescue.

Hiking Couple Hears Whisper In The Trees, Makes Horrifying Discovery
Blackwelder’s mangled car at the bottom of the cliff

Spencer and Cleo were in the right place at the right time, having decided at the last minute to take a lesser traveled trail. To Heather’s knowledge, nobody else had hiked it in the days she was there waiting for help, and her hours were numbered had the couple not taken that path to save her life. Even though she had been missing, it wasn’t reported, and nobody knew to go looking for her.

As soon as the twosome found Heather, Cleo ran to get cell service in Mutual Dell to call for help. Paramedics soon arrived and were stunned at the condition the woman was in, considering all that she had endured, along with the amount of time she was trapped there.

“From the distance of where the road was, and the condition that the car was in, it just, it seemed like she should have been way more injured than that,” Dreyden said in an interview on the ordeal to Fox 13. “She wasn’t punctured at all by any of the metal in the car or anything like that. She just had, what I believed to be bones that were broken from being tumbled around.”

Heather was rushed via LifeFlight to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and is expected to make a full recovery. She owes all gratitude to God for putting this couple on a path to her. She only had a day or two left in that condition to live, had they not come when they did.

“Had somebody not found her today or the next day or so she would have died,” Sgt. Spencer Cannon with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office told KSL. “It could literally have been years before she was found. (The area) is not a hiking trail, it’s not along a trail. It has thick trees and is on the side of the mountain. The car could have been well rusted before she was found.”

Without a doubt, God works in mysterious ways, and this instance is proof of that. Many miracles happened here from Tuesday to Thursday. Starting with the fact she survived the initial impact of falling hundreds of feet down a rocky embankment, to then live long enough to be found by God’s helpers.

FOLLOW us on Facebook, Gab, & Twitter!