BREAKING: Suspect In Custody After Explosion In New York City — Here’s What We Know

(This post may contain disputed claims. We make no assertions as to the validity of the information presented by our Opinion Columnist. We are an opinion blog, not a traditional news outlet, and this post should be treated as such. Enjoy.)

Once again, New York is the center of a terrible attack. This morning’s commute was interrupted as an explosion rocked the Port Authority bus terminal. Updates are coming in fast, but initial reports make it appear to be terrorism in nature. A suspect is in custody, and here’s what we know so far.

The scene at New York’s Port Authority as first responders approach. (Photo Credit: CBS News/Twitter)

According to reports, several people are injured. It appears an individual carried a bomb into the station. The device— described as a pipe bomb by some — went off in the middle of a crowd of commuters.

A video of the “Moment of (the) explosion at 42nd St and 8th Avenue in Manhattan” was posted to Twitter:

One person was in custody after an explosion near New York City’s Port Authority bus terminal during Monday morning’s rush hour, a blast that prompted mass chaos and halted multiple subway lines, the NYPD said.

Several people were reportedly injured. An NYPD source on the scene told Fox News a device went off and there was a person strapped with a bomb.

President Trump had been briefed on the incident, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders tweeted.

NYPD and FDNY officials confirmed to Fox News they were investigating reports of an explosion “of an unknown origin” near 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue. Police tweeted the A, C, E subways lines were being evacuated. The terminal is “temporarily closed by authorities” at this time. [Source: Fox News]

The news is coming in fast as the scene unfolds. According to reports, it was a “pipe bomb.” CBS News reports, “’The Port Authority is a massive complex…At this point, I see no one exiting the building, so presumably’ buses and subways there have now stopped and Port Authority appears to be shut down, @Brook Silva-Braga says.”

According to a post on Twitter by ABC News, the footage below is a “bystander video (that) shows (the) large police and fire response outside Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC.”

Fox News also reports, “The Port Authority Bus Terminal has been closed after an explosion during Monday morning’s rush hour,” with footage from the scene.

According to CNN Newsroom’s post on Twitter this morning, “NYPD sources tell @brynnCNN: The man in custody was wearing what looked like a homemade device ‘that either didn’t detonate according to plan or it somehow malfunctioned.'”

Several people wrote on social media there was mass chaos at the bus terminal, some saying there was a “stampede” when an explosion was heard.

The NYC Office of Emergency Management also tweeted there was “police activity” near West 42nd Street between Eighth and Ninth avenues and advised commuters to expect delays.

Port Authority is the largest bus terminal in the U.S. and about 232,000 commuters go through the area daily. The number of passengers is expected to jump to 337,000 daily by 2040. [Source: Fox News]

Early reports claim the attack was carried out by a single male. Bystanders describe it as a homemade device. It appears the device didn’t go off as planned — a malfunction may have prevented it from causing more damage.

We will have more as this story develops throughout the day.